Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Radio Lab

So as you may or may not know, I am a huge public radio fan. I listen to NPR most of the day. One of my favorite public radio programs is a show that Emily turned me on to called Radio Lab from WNYC. I was listening to the latest short put out by Radio Lab on my I-pod while walking home from work tonight. It turned out to be a story about an old folks home in Germany. I am putting a link here so that you can listen to the show. What I want you to pay special attention to is the exchange between the radio host and the German interviewee on how to say a certain name.


The Bus Stop

By Lulu Miller



I have had nearly the exact conversation at least 20 times since I've been here. For example, the German name for Cologne is Koeln. I cannot for the life of me correctly pronounce this name. The conversations usually goes like this:

German: koouln

Me: koouln

German: (laugh) no, koouln

Me: koouln

German: no! koouln

Me: OK, koouln

German: listen! koouln!

Me: kooouuln

German: no....

.... well you get the picture.

Anyway, I felt a camaraderie with Lulu Miller when I listened to her go rounds with Regine :) I feel your pain Lulu!

No comments:

Post a Comment