Thursday, January 28, 2010

A few of my favorite things....

Continuing on the theme of positivity in Germany, here is a list of some of my favorite things in Jena.

1. The Kunstwerk (art studio/workshop)

I have taken painting and ceramics classes here and they have open studio time when you can come in and use the space and supplies to make whatever you want! I am learning how to paint. Here is my first painting. I think it is pretty good considering it is the first since middle school art class.

2. Ducks and swans

I have to cross the Saale river on the way to work. There is a small pedestrian bridge and there are always tons of ducks there waiting to be fed. Recently some swans have shown up as well. I always associate swans with fairy tales, so it is really exciting to see them there.

3. The Seven Wonders of Jena

OK, I don't actually like the seven wonders, I like that there ARE seven wonders of Jena. I have a hard time remembering all of them... here's my best effort
  1. Jenzig (the mountain behind my house)
  2. Fuchsturm (fox tower) - really nice place to have a coffee and look out over the valley
  3. Camsdorferbrucke - this is the bridge that crosses the Saale from the city center into Jena Ost (where I live) Interestingly, it is not actually the present day bridge that is the wonder, but the previous one.
  4. The people who chase each other in the tower of the Rathaus (City Hall) - I don't remember what they're called. Supposedly if they catch each other the world will end.
  5. Some statue in the Stadtmuseum (City Museum)
  6. Some house that doesn't exist any more.
  7. Stadtkirch (City Church)? Maybe this is one?
If anyone has more information on this, please share. I found this partial video on YouTube

2 comments:

  1. I think something about a dragon. And an underground passage for nuns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do really like your painting Jenny. And the fish! Love you bunches.

    ~Mandy

    ReplyDelete