Friday, January 8, 2010

Positivity about living in Germany #2: Germanisms

So to continue the theme of things I like about Germany, I am including this blog on German sayings that I like.

1. In Germany they "get" babies instead of "having" them like we do. e.g "Kristina got a baby last week" (she didn't really, I'm just making an example). It's like she went to the corner baby store and picked one up :) Very cute!

2. Sticking with the baby theme... German's call birth control pills "Anti-baby pills". Aptly named.

3. If a German wants to know if doing something is fun the ask if it "makes fun" e.g. "Does a post-doc make fun?" Make fun of what? (and yes they probably do).

4. A German guy I dated was a forester and he spent all day running "hill up and hill down" .

Hmmm, that is all I can think of for now, but I will keep this a running post and add to it as I think of new things.

***New Additions***

5. Carsten said "You are going on my nerves!"

6. Somewhere, somehow, "somewhen"?

7. Germans sit "on" their computers instead of "at" their computer. I actually caught myself saying this one today.

3 comments: